Two dead in New Year’s Day shooting in downtown Los Angeles


Two people were killed and eight others were wounded in a shooting at an underground New Year’s Eve celebration in downtown Los Angeles early Monday, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Shortly before 1 a.m. on New Year’s Day, officers received a radio call of a shooting in the area of ​​15th Street and Santa Fe Avenue. When they reached the crossroads they heard gunshots coming from nearby Porter Street and Santa Fe Avenue. A large crowd was fleeing the area and several injured people were lying in the street and on the sidewalk, police wrote in a news release.

A man and a woman were pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Authorities initially reported that three people had been injured early Monday, but in an afternoon update they said eight others were injured in addition to the two who died. The injured were treated at hospitals, but police did not provide an update on their condition.

The shooting victims were attending a New Year’s Eve party in the 2300 block of Porter Street. Authorities believe a dispute between people at the gathering led to the shooting. No suspicious information was immediately available.

Authorities ask anyone with information to call Detective Howarth at 213-996-4143. Anonymous tips can be submitted to LA Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.lacrimestoppers.org.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top