Steve Buscemi's attacker in New York identified, police say


The New York police are searching for a man who allegedly punched Emmy-winning actor Steve Buscemi in Manhattan last week.

Police named Clifton Williams, 50, as the suspect behind the alleged assault that left the “Boardwalk Empire” and “The Big Lebowski” star bloodied and bruised over his left eye, The Times confirmed Wednesday. Police responded last week to a report of an assault in Kips Bay involving Buscemi, 66, and a then “unidentified individual.”

After the alleged assault, EMS took Buscemi to Bellevue Hospital for treatment. He was in stable condition but suffered “bruising, swelling and bleeding in his left eye,” according to a police report. Police said last week that the suspect was “a dark-skinned man” who was wearing a dark baseball cap, a blue T-shirt, black pants and white sneakers and was carrying a backpack.

Police have made no arrests in connection with the alleged assault and an investigation is underway.

Buscemi became the second “Boardwalk Empire” star attacked in New York in two months. In April, his co-star Michael Stuhlbarg was “randomly attacked near Central Park” while walking.

Police alleged that a 27-year-old man, whom they described as homeless, threw a rock at the 55-year-old Stuhlbarg's head. Police arrested the alleged attacker, who faces felony charges of second-degree assault and second-degree harassment.

Stuhlbarg returned to Broadway a day after the incident in a preview of his new play, “Patriots.”

In a statement shared with The Times earlier this week, a representative for “Fargo” star Buscemi said he is recovering after becoming “another victim of a random act of violence in the city.”

“He is doing well and appreciates everyone's well wishes,” the statement added, “although it is incredibly sad for everyone that this happened to them while they were walking the streets of New York.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top