Wrexham 4-1 Barrow (1 January 2024) Game Analysis

Wrexham scored three goals in just four minutes of first-half stoppage time and pulled off a 4-1 comeback win over Barrow at SToK Racecourse on Monday.

Two goals from striker Steven Fletcher, either side of a superb Paul Mullin free-kick, gave Wrexham all three points in League Two.

– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (US)

Barrow had scored the first goal of the game when Kian Spence latched onto Elliot Newby’s low cross after just 33 seconds to give the away team the lead.

A stoppage in play due to a head injury sustained by Barrow midfielder David Worrall contributed to 14 minutes being added to the end of the first half and Wrexham took full advantage.

Paul Mullin scored a free-kick as Wrexham beat fellow promotion hopefuls Barrow on New Year’s Day.

Matthew Ashton – AMA/Getty Images

Mullin’s free kick was the pick of the three-goal burst as he celebrated signing a new three-year contract in style on New Year’s Day.

Shortly after the second half began, Barrow midfielder Luca Stephenson, who came off the bench to replace Worrall, suffered a head injury and became the second player to be stretchered off after another long stoppage in the game.

Fletcher completed his hat-trick in the 67th minute when he rose highest to meet Anthony Forde’s cross and direct his header beyond the reach of Barrow goalkeeper Paul Farman.

Forde almost scored Wrexham’s fifth goal in the dying minutes but was denied by Farman with a double save.

Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney’s team, who sit third in the table, travel to face League One side Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup third round on January 7.

Reynolds sent a message of support to injured Barrow pair Worrall and Stephenson in a post on X (previously known as Twitter) after the match.

“Great start to 2024 for Wrexham… Hope Barrow players David Worrall and Luca Stephenson are okay. Some scary minutes[utes] there.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top