Transfer talk: Man United set 4-man squad with Choupo-Moting


The winter transfer window is now open in Europe, and there are plenty of moves in the works and rumors floating around. Transfer Talk brings you the latest news on rumours, comings and goings and of course, closed deals!

TOP STORY: Man United eyes Bundesliga for attacker transfers

With Manchester United needing more goal production from their front line, the Red Devils have drawn up a shortlist of four attacking players to try to sign in January, according to The Athletic.

The list of players Man United are believed to be considering is headed by the Bayern Munich duo. Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Thomas mullertogether with RB Leipzig Timo Werner and the Stuttgart forward is in shape Serhou Guirassy.

Man United are looking to add support to new striker Rasmus Hojlund, who has scored just once in 15 Premier League appearances since joining United, and the duo of Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, who have been only marginally better than Hojlund.

But the Red Devils are reportedly restricted by a lack of funds as the club has to wait for new investor Sir Jim Ratcliffe and the Ineos group to approve funding.

– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga and more (US)
– Read on ESPN+: Projecting title races in Europe’s top leagues

United were linked with Werner in the summer and now, with Bayern themselves interested in Guirassy, ​​who has scored 17 goals in 14 games, Bayern’s Choupo-Moting and Muller could represent affordable short-term options.

This comes amid reports that Jadon Sancho is about to leave United in this January window. Sources have told ESPN that a deal is in the works for Borussia Dortmund to bring in Sancho on loan until the end of the season, with a fee and salary details still to be worked out.

It was previously reported that West Ham United were also interested in signing Sancho on loan, but Dortmund are now the clear favorites to re-sign the 23-year-old this month. Sancho sees Dortmund as the ideal place to reignite his career, as he scored 50 goals and added 64 assists in 137 games during his last stay in the Bundesliga.

Amid these moves in the making, Man United manager Erik ten Hag is reportedly pushing to keep his say over who stays and who goes at the club, according to a report from ESPN. The Dutchman wants to continue vetoing all transfers, despite being under increasing pressure from the failed arrivals of players such as Antony from Ajax.

PAPER GOSSIP

– Roma coach José Mourinho is interested in the Tottenham Hotspur defender Eric Dier, according to Calciomercato. Having concluded recent talks with the Union Berlin defender Leonardo Bonucci — and with the Roma defender Evan Ndicka Heading to the African Cup of Nations: Mourinho falls short in defense. However, Roma’s budget is small due to FFP restrictions, although they hope to benefit from the departure of another defender, most likely Leonardo Spinazzola — in the January transfer window. Dier, 29, has fallen down the Spurs pecking order under Ange Postecoglou, but his availability could depend on whether Tottenham can successfully tempt him. Radu Dragusin from Genoa as a substitute.

– Manchester United bets on the Benfica defender Anthony Silva, but it looks like Chelsea could scupper the move if they can find the £87m to cover his release clause. This is according to The Sun, who report that the Blues are keen to strengthen their defense with the addition of the 20-year-old Portuguese international. Chelsea scouts were said to have attended Benfica’s 3-0 win over Famalicao on Friday, and Blues officials have been in talks with Benfica over a possible transfer of the striker. Armando Broja for £52 million in an effort to stay within FFP restrictions.

– Arsenal’s long-term search for Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi could finally come to fruition if Mohamed ElnenyArsenal’s departure to Turkey is confirmed in January, according to the Mirror. The Gunners have little room for maneuver in the transfer window due to FFP restrictions, but losing Elneny could finally free up the opportunity to sign Zubimendi, 24, of whom Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta is a big fan. In turn, Zubimendi’s availability could depend on Real Sociedad’s ability to replace him in January.

– Former Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino is looking to move away from the Saudi Pro League despite joining Al Ahli in the summer, according to Football Insider. The 32-year-old Brazilian is not enjoying his time in the Middle East and has not scored since he scored a hat-trick on the opening day of the season. Al Ahli are said to be happy for the Brazilian to leave in January, but the question remains as to where he will go next. Premier League side Sheffield United are said to be interested, but Firmino is not interested in entering a relegation battle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top