Judge denies Tennessee quarterback Joey Aguilar's eligibility bid


A Tennessee state judge on Friday denied Tennessee quarterback Joey Aguilar's request for a preliminary injunction to play for the Volunteers this season, effectively ending his college career.

Aguilar's attorneys had argued that his two seasons of college play should not count toward his four years of Division I eligibility.

Aguilar, 24, played two seasons at Diablo Valley Community College in California and two more at Appalachian State before joining the Volunteers last year.

Chancery Christopher D. Heagerty's ruling, issued in Knox County Chancery Court in Knoxville, Tennessee, is a blow to the Volunteers, who have no clear apparent successor to Aguilar for next season.

Aguilar's attorneys wrote in court records that he would earn about $2 million with the Volunteers this season.

It was not immediately clear whether Aguilar's lawyers would appeal the ruling. He is expected to participate in next week's NFL combine.

Heagerty granted Aguilar a 15-day temporary restraining order on Feb. 4, noting in his ruling that the quarterback “has demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of his claim.”

The latest ruling is a significant victory for the NCAA, which has faced several legal challenges to its eligibility rules. A judge in Mississippi ruled last week that Ole Miss quarterback Trinidad Chambliss met the criteria to receive a medical redshirt for a sixth season and is eligible to play for the Rebels this season.

“The NCAA is grateful for today's judge's decision, which demonstrates the court's consideration of eligibility standards and protecting access to the college experience for current and future student-athletes,” the NCAA said in a statement. “We will continue to defend the NCAA's eligibility rules against attempts to circumvent fundamental policies and hinder fair competition for all student-athletes. The NCAA is making changes to provide more benefits to student-athletes and will continue to work with Congress to provide stability for all college athletes.”

NCAA attorney Taylor Askew, a Knoxville native and graduate of UT Winston School of Law, argued during last week's hearing that it was time for Aguilar to move on.

“I love Tennessee football,” Askew said. “I'm from Knoxville. I grew up watching it. My kids watch it every game. But at some point, when the judges look at records like this, and in Tennessee we have to say, 'Tennessee is better than this. We're better than this. We don't have to go to court to get our guy back. We don't have to play someone who's not eligible under the rules to win games. We don't do that in Tennessee.'”

Aguilar was a co-plaintiff in former Vanderbilt quarterback Diego Pavia's federal lawsuit against the NCAA, which challenged its rules counting junior college seasons against Division I eligibility.

However, Aguilar broke away from that case and sued the NCAA in state court because a ruling on Pavia's lawsuit was not expected until Feb. 10 at the earliest.

A federal judge granted Pavia a preliminary injunction allowing him to play for the Commodores in 2025. He finished second in Heisman Trophy voting.

The NCAA Division I board of directors approved a blanket waiver on December 23, 2004, granting an additional year of eligibility to former college transfers in situations similar to Pavia's.

Pavia entered the NFL draft this year, but maintained his claim to help other former juco players potentially gain additional seasons of eligibility.

Aguilar also redshirted at City of College of San Francisco in 2019, and the following season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

After throwing for 6,760 yards with 56 touchdowns in two seasons at Appalachian State, Aguilar entered the transfer portal in December 2024. He was set to play at UCLA last season until former Volunteers quarterback Nico Iamaleava unexpectedly transferred and signed with the Bruins in April.

Aguilar signed with Tennessee the next day. He completed 67.3% of his passes for 3,565 yards with 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2025.

The Volunteers finished 8-4, 4-4 in the SEC last season.

Jake Merklinger, Aguilar's backup last season, transferred to UConn. That leaves redshirt freshman George MacIntyre as the team's potential starting quarterback. MacIntyre, ESPN's eighth-ranked pocket passer in the class of 2025, attempted nine passes in two games last season.

The Volunteers also added Ryan Staub, who spent the last three seasons in Colorado.

UT signed Faizon Brandon, the No. 3 pocket passer in the class of 2026.

scroll to top