“The Drew Barrymore Show” has set a new premiere date for season four after the Hollywood writers’ strike ended last week.
The syndicated daytime talk show is scheduled to return on October 16, according to “The Drew Barrymore Show” Instagram account. Barrymore previously postponed the release of season 4 after receiving widespread criticism for announcing that he would resume production during the writers’ strike.
“I’m very excited to see what Drew has in store for season four,” Wendy McMahon, president of CBS Media Ventures, said in a statement before the premiere was postponed.
“From its launch during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic to its successful transition to an innovative half-hour format, this show has demonstrated spectacular resilience and creative agility on its journey to becoming the fastest-growing show during the day. “We couldn’t have a better partner in Drew Barrymore and we look forward to bringing our fans and station customers new episodes this fall,” said McMahon.
In early September, Barrymore announced that her talk show would begin filming again during the writers’ strike, despite employing several members of the Writers Guild of America. CBS Media Ventures, which produces “The Drew Barrymore Show,” backed the decision and said the talent “would not perform any writing work covered by the WGA strike.”
The announcement sparked swift reaction from the WGA and its allies, who accused the actor and television host of crossing the picket line. WGA members, including the three writers of “The Drew Barrymore Show,” protested at a later taping of the show in New York City.
“‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ is a shocking show covered by the WGA that plans to return without its writers,” the WGA East said in a statement at the time.
“The Guild has and will continue to picket shows that are in production during the strike. “Any writing on ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ violates WGA rules.”
Less than a week after the series resumed production, Barrymore posted a tearful video on Instagram apologizing to the writers and unions while defending her actions. He called the situation “complex” but insisted that he never intended to “upset or hurt anyone.”
“I didn’t want to hide behind people. So I won’t,” she said. “I’m not going to polish this with… publicists and corporate rhetoric. “I’m just going to hang in there, accept it and be responsible.”
Within three days, Barrymore removed the video from her Instagram profile and replaced it with a written statement reversing her decision to resume production during the strike.
“There are no words to express my sincere apologies to anyone I have hurt and of course to our incredible team who work on the show and make it what it is today,” he said.
“We really tried to find a way forward. And I really hope for an industry-wide resolution very soon.”
That resolution came on September 24, when the WGA and the Motion Picture and Television Producers Alliance reached a tentative agreement to end the strike. Several unscripted shows, such as “The Tonight Show” and “The Jennifer Hudson Show,” have already returned to the air.
Other talk shows are also expected to return soon. On Wednesday, NBC announced that new episodes of “The Kelly Clarkson Show” would also begin airing on October 16.
With the actors’ strike still ongoing, “The Drew Barrymore Show” has tapped a celebrity stylist, an interior designer, a professional chef, a sustainable living guru and other “cutting-edge guests and key influencers” to fill the vacuum. .