Donald Trump has announced a 10 percent global tariff on “all countries” to replace those overturned by the Supreme Court, calling the ruling “terrible” and calling the judges who rejected his trade policy “fools.”
The US president's “reciprocal tariffs”, imposed on most of the rest of the world last April under an emergency powers law, were struck down by the US Supreme Court on Friday, in a blow to the president's economic agenda.
But he doubled down on levies after the decision, claiming the court “has been influenced by foreign interests” and that other countries were “dancing in the streets, but they won't be dancing for long, I can tell you that.”
The UK was quick to respond following the announcement, with ministers saying they expect the country's “privileged trading position with the United States” to continue after the Supreme Court ruling.
The UK received the lowest tariff rate of 10 per cent, and a subsequent deal struck by Sir Keir Starmer and Trump saw new exemptions for the British steel industry and car makers.
Friday's decision raises questions about whether those deals remain in place, although officials are understood to believe it will not affect most of the UK's trade with the United States, including preferential deals on steel, cars and pharmaceuticals.
In a post on Truth Social shortly before midnight UK time, Trump said: “I am greatly honored to have recently signed, from the Oval Office, a global 10 percent tariff on all countries, which will take effect almost immediately. Thank you for your attention to this matter! PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP.”
He later added in a follow-up post criticizing the Supreme Court justices who ruled against his taxes: “Their decision was ridiculous, but now the adjustment process begins and we will do everything we can to receive even more money than we received before.”
Speaking earlier at the White House, Trump said the Supreme Court decision affirmed his ability to levy more tariffs under different statutes.
He said: “To protect our country, a president can charge more tariffs than I was charging in the last… one-year period.
“Under the different tariff authorities, we can use other statutes, other tariff authorities, which have also been confirmed and are fully permitted.
“Therefore, effective immediately, all national security tariffs under Section 232 and existing Section 301 tariffs, exist, are there, remain in effect, fully in force and in full force.
“Today I will sign an order to impose a 10 percent global tariff under Section 122, in addition to the normal tariffs already being charged.
“And we are also launching several Section 301 and other investigations to protect our country from unfair trade practices by other countries and companies.”
A UK government spokesperson said: “This is a matter for the US to determine, but we will continue to support UK businesses as further details are announced.
“Under any scenario, we expect our privileged trading position with the United States to continue and we will work with the administration to understand how the ruling will affect tariffs for the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.”
It was an updated version of a statement previously published in response to the court ruling, but removed a reference to the UK enjoying “the lowest reciprocal tariffs globally”.
Trump said some trade deals negotiated after imposing his reciprocal tariffs will no longer be valid after the US Supreme Court ruling.
“Some of them stay. Many of them stay. Some of them don't, and they will be replaced by other tariffs,” he said.
The US president said the 10 percent “global tariff” would be in place for about five months.
“We're moving forward with 10 percent across the board… and then over that period of about five months, we're doing the various investigations necessary to impose fair tariffs, or tariff periods, on other countries.
“So we're doing it, period, but we immediately instituted the 10 percent provision, which we're allowed to do. And in the end, I think we're getting more money than we've ever gotten before.”
The United States has raised more than $133 billion since Trump imposed the tariffs, but now faces the prospect of having to refund that money to importers.
Friday's decision, approved by a 6-3 majority, found that a 1977 law did not give Trump the power to impose tariffs without approval from the US Congress.
The British Chamber of Commerce (BCC) said the decision did little to “clear the muddy waters for business” around the US tariffs.
William Bain, head of trade policy at the BCC, said Trump could use other legislation to reimpose tariffs.
He said: “For the UK, the priority remains to reduce tariffs wherever possible. It is important that the UK Government continues to negotiate issues such as steel and aluminum tariffs and reduce the scope of other potential tariffs.”
Campaign group Best for Britain said the decision “underlines the instability of striking deals with Trump's US and the importance of forging deeper, more reliable trade with our EU neighbours”.






